The Scarborough Nursery School, Inc. founded by John Clarence Scarborough, Sr. is a social service that provides care for children six weeks to five years of age. Upon the death of his first wife, Mrs. Daisy, at the age of 37 years and sensing a need for better health conditions and better care for small children, Mr. Scarborough established a day care home in 1925. His concern for the survival of the viability of the family led him to purchase the original Lincoln Hospital property and renovate it for use as a nursery. Thus, his dream of establishing a school home where children could grow, develop with good training, nourishing food, healthy exercise and proper guidance were realized.
During the early years (the depression), the school struggled to survive. Mrs. Clydie F. Scarborough instituted kindergarten facilities in 1952 and nursery accommodations were added in 1938. The Scarborough Nursery School, Inc. is the oldest day care organization in the state of North Carolina. The school became the first nursery school in Durham to be licensed by the North Carolina Welfare Department.
In 1932, at the height of the devastating depression, Mrs. Scarborough became the executive director. She received her kindergarten training at Talladega College and did further study at North Carolina Central University in early childhood training.
In 1967, the Redevelopment Commission of Durham acquired the title to the Scarborough Nursery property as part of the right-of-way for the East-West Expressway. During the intervention years, the school was forced to locate in make-shift quarters. Today's facility is modern in every concept and located in the downtown area.